My mom had us all over for Easter dinner on Sunday and I wanted to bring something light and healthy to balance out the delicious bundt cake I knew I’d be snacking on (my boyfriend’s family owns Nothing Bundt Cakes in Albuquerque…the most delicious cake in the universe). I found this recipe on The Curvy Carrot and I knew it would make the perfect appetizer for Easter.
It took only minutes to put together and it makes a beautiful, colorful snack. This will be a perfect summer appetizer to make for pool days and wine nights with the girls. It’s high in flavor and very low in fat and carbs.
Adapted from The Curvy Carrot
- 1 lb mixed medley cherry tomatoes (I got mine from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 12 oz. container of marinated fresh mozzarella (I got these from Trader Joe’s as well)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, gently torn into 1/2-inch pieces
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Sea salt, to taste
- Wooden skewers, for serving
- Beginning with a fresh basil leaf, spear the basil, followed by a cherry tomato, another piece of basil, a tomato, a mozzarella piece, and tomato, as desired. Repeat with each additional skewer.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and sea salt. If you use fresh mozzarella that’s not marinated, drizzle a bit of olive oil over the skewers before seasoning with the pepper flakes and salt. A bit of balsamic vinegar would add some great flavor to these as well.