My gorgeous cousin Rachel, pictured below, is a mother of two adorable 8-month-old twin girls and she’s also a makeup artist! She specializes in wedding makeup and you can see the beautiful work she has done on brides here. You can also follow her on Twitter for her expert beauty opinions. She was kind enough to share her must-have items that she has found to be the most universally flattering.
Here are Rachel’s 11 must-have beauty products as a makeup artist!
1. NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer: I love this product because it gives a nice, natural coverage that makes skin look flawless. It’s full of luxurious ingredients that actually help improve the appearance of skin within 4 weeks of use. It also has SPF 30 which is always a necessity!
2. MAC Pro Long wear Concealer: I use this concealer on almost all of my brides. It covers without making you look too covered. It provides medium to full coverage, but doesn’t give the heavy appearance that some concealers tend to. It’s also long-wearing which is crucial on your wedding day.
3. NARS Blush in Orgasm: The peachy, pink shimmer of this blush is flattering on many skin tones. It gives a beautiful, subtle glow. It’s a cult favorite that’s worth every penny.
4. Bare Minerals Secret Radiance All-Over Face Color: This product looks gorgeous when applied as a highlighter. Just pop a little on the cheek bone and voilah, gorgeous, radiant skin.
5. MAC Viva Glam V: This lipstick is very versatile and looks good on most skin tones. It is the perfect wedding color for the classic bridal look.
6. Covergirl LashBlast: I’ve searched high and low for the ultimate mascara and nothing beats this. It’s my all-time favorite mascara. It coats every lash without clumping and achieves length and volume. It’s perfect for big, plump lashes. It’s also only $8, so you can’t beat that!
7. MAC Jest Eyeshadow: This shadow looks great on a young or mature eye. It has a nice sheen, but isn’t shimmery. You can wear it alone for an Au-naturale look or add another color for drama.
8. MAC Paint Pot in Painterly: This is the best eyeshadow primer. It’s natural shade evens out the color of the lid perfectly so you have a flawless canvas to build off of. It has amazing staying power…use this under your eyeshadow and it’s not going anywhere.
9. MAC Fluidline in Blacktrack: This is a smudge-proof, long-wearing, gel eyeliner that goes on very fluidly. Just brush it on with a precise eyeliner brush and you have the perfect line.
10. MAC Fix+: This product is infused with vitamins and minerals. Just spray it on after your foundation and you literally see your foundation almost melt into your skin, giving the appearance of a “second skin.” Not only does it set your makeup, it gives your skin an amazing glow. This is my go-to product that gives your skin an automatic pick me up. I could go on forever about this stuff.
11. MAC 187 Duo Fibre Brush: This brush has a blend of synthetic and goat hair. The combination of the bristles gives an amazing, almost airbrush finish when you use it to apply any liquid foundation.