I recently interviewed Lauryn Evarts, a fitness instructor, model and author of The Skinny Confidential. I’ve been really wanting to try one of her healthy recipes and her low-carb pasta was at the top of my list. I invited a girlfriend over and we sipped white wine while throwing together this super easy dinner. The Jovial pasta is a delicious cork-screw Fusilli made from whole grain Einkorn, which is the purest, healthiest form of wheat. It has 35 carbs per serving and most pasta has at least 45. It also has 9 grams of protein per serving. Of course, this is not something to eat every night but it is the best way to indulge in pasta.
We used an all-natural spicy Arrabbiata sauce by Rao’s Homemade, that I picked up at Whole Foods. It’s so delicious and has no added sugar or preservatives. To up the nutrition factor we sautéed fresh broccolini in olive oil and garlic for a few minutes so it was slightly cooked but still really crisp and full of nutrients. We laid the broccolini down on the bed of pasta, sprinkled some freshly shaved Parmesan and squeezed fresh lemon juice.
It was the perfect meal for a giggly, cozy night with my sorority sister. We watched The Bachelorette (go Arie!) in pajamas and enjoyed the thunder and much needed rain out the window.
Low-Carb High-Protein Arrabbiata Pasta with Broccolini (Serves 2-3)
Adapted from The Skinny Confidential
- 1 box Jovial pasta (found at a health food store or here )
- 1 1/2 cups of Rao’s Homemade Arrabbiata sauce
- Handful of broccolini
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- freshly shaved Parmesan
- Boil water on stovetop and cook pasta according to directions on the box.
- In a separate pan, sauté garlic & olive oil for about 3 minutes.
- Add broccolini, toss to coat in olive oil and place lid on top of pot. Cook for about 10 minutes while pasta is cooking.
- Cook pasta through and drain through a pasta strainer. Put pasta pack in pot.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pasta and toss to coat.
- Add the Arrabbiata sauce and combine evenly.
- Plate the pasta and lay broccolini on top. Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan, season with salt and pepper and squeeze a generous amount of fresh lemon juice.
- Serve and enjoy!