Do I have a treat for you! These soft, moist, melt-in-your-mouth cupcakes have just 121 calories each and take minutes to make. It’s the simplest recipe EVER (just like these pineapple cupcakes that are by far my most popular recipe). It’s shocking to me that all you need is boxed cake mix and a can of pumpkin but it works! I baked these with my friend Paula while sipping wine and watching Halloween.
I brought them to Bunco last week and everyone loved them. These little treats will be perfect as a Thanksgiving dessert that you can enjoy without a ton of calories. The pumpkin cream cheese frosting tastes so rich and delicious…you’d never know these were so skinny!
Skinny Pumpkin Cupcakes with Light Pumpkin Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes 20-24 cupcakes)
For the cake:
- 18.25 oz Betty Crocker Golden Vanilla Super Moist Cake Mix* (*Betty Crocker has reduced their cake mixes, so read the labels on your box. Dunkin Hines still carries 18.25 oz boxes.)
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 cup water
For the frosting:
- 8 oz Philadelphia 1/3 fat cream cheese (do not use fat-free)
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin (canned is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 5 tbsp packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake wrappers.
- Combine cake mix and pumpkin spice in a large bowl.
- Add pumpkin puree and water, mix about 2 minutes.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake about 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- For the frosting, combine the cream cheese, pumpkin, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar until smooth.
- You can use a spatula to ice the cupcakes or pipe them which may require making more frosting.