I just love love love potatoes. Sweet potatoes have more nutrients than white potatoes so they are my potato of choice. These parmesan roasted bites are bursting with sweet and savory flavors and they get wonderfully crispy.
The touch of dried thyme and lemon zest adds some brightness to this side dish as well. We paired them with one of my favorite, easy seafood dishes, Lemon Scented Salmon.
- 2 large or 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- zest from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and position oven rack to middle position. Line the bottom of a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. (I skipped this step and my potatoes were stuck to the foil. It was really difficult to get them off!)
- In a medium sized bowl, place the prepared, cubed sweet potatoes, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, dried thyme. Distribute the ingredients evenly to cover the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the sweet potato mixture to the prepared baking sheet and spread out the potatoes so that they are in a single layer.
- Roast in oven for about 40 minutes -OR- until the sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a sharp knife. Set the oven to broil and broil until the tops of the sweet potatoes start to brown, about 8-10 minutes (keep an eye on the potatoes when broiling, as your time may differ and you want to take care not to burn them).
- Top with lemon zest and a little extra parmesan (and a touch of lemon juice if desired…not too much or else they will get soggy)
- Serve immediately.