My friend Renee and I cook together pretty often (check out our skinny broccoli mac & cheese here!), and she found this delicious and healthy recipe on Pinterest that we couldn’t wait to try out. We cooked it this past weekend and it was flavorful and ridiculously fast, not to mention low in calories and full of nutrition.
We paired it with my favorite Parmesan Roasted Broccoli with Lemon Zest (it’s this recipe without the tomatoes) and some brown rice. Yes, I know this is not even remotely “Thanksgiving-y” but this will make the perfect clean meal to treat your body to after indulging on Turkey Day. 🙂
You just marinate the shrimp in the seasoning for 30 minutes and then throw it in some aluminum foil with the fresh spinach and seal it up tight! Then you either put it on the grill (which is what we did) or cook it in the oven. It takes 7-10 minutes to cook and the spice combination that’s on the shrimp is so vibrant and delicious. All 4 of us had clean plates after this. It’s the kind of nutritious dinner that fills you up without making you feel weighed down. Love it!
Moroccan Shrimp with Spinach (Serves 4)
Adapted from Fitness Magazine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- pinch ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 10 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Zest from one lemon (optional)
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Mix the coriander, cumin, paprika, cayenne, allspice and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Place the shrimp in a large bowl, add the spice mixture and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, oil and remaining salt. Divide spinach and shrimp evenly among four 15-by-12-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bring the edges of each sheet together and fold tightly to seal.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Place packets on grill and close the cover; cook until spinach is wilted and shrimp is opaque, 5 to 7 minutes. Top each serving with fresh lemon zest and juice if desired, and serve immediately. (If you don’t have a grill or prefer not to use it, just use the oven at about 400 degrees for similar amount of time)