I’m officially obsessed with this recipe. I’ve made it twice in two days and I plan on these skins now being my go-to dish for entertaining or potlucks. This is another fantastic recipe I adapted from The Fit Cook. I’ve shared quite a few of her recipes on my blog and she never disappoints. I just swapped regular bacon for turkey bacon to lower the fat content a bit since I made these super cheesy.
These are bursting with complimentary flavors thanks to the smokiness of the turkey bacon, the bite of the gorgonzola and the brightness of the fresh thyme. I brought them to my mom’s house for a potluck dinner and the plate was clean in a few minutes. I made them for lunch the next day and Jon and I devoured all of them. They are simple and DELICIOUS!
The gorgonzola really adds something to these, but I made a batch with sharp white cheddar as well and that’s tasty too. If gorgonzola isn’t your thing, try it with cheddar!
Turkey Bacon & Gorgonzola Sweet Potato Skins with Fresh Thyme
(Makes 8 skins or cut each in half to make 16 potato skin bites)
Adapted from The Fit Cook
4 small sweet potatoes
3 slices of turkey bacon
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash the potatoes, then cut them lengthwise. Add them to a pot filled with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes to a plate until they are cool enough to handle.
- Place the bacon on a paper towel or plate and microwave until crispy and browned (about 4 minutes). When it cools, crumble into small bits and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cool, use a spoon to scoop out most of the meat of the potato, leaving about 1/8 of an inch of potato over the skin (reserve this for mashed sweet potatoes, like these!). Place the potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Divide the gorgonzola cheese among the potato skins, then top each with bacon bits. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes, a pinch of salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly . Remove from the oven, garnish with thyme, and serve.