Talk about total comfort food. This dish is so delicious AND it’s healthy! Make this ASAP and thank me later. 🙂 I used my Skinny Parmesan Breaded Chicken recipe, topped it with marinara and parmesan and laid it on a bed of delicious spaghetti squash that’s been seasoned and also topped with marinara. It gives you all the satisfaction of Chicken Parmesan without all the heavy carbs and fat!
Skinny Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash (Serves 2–each person gets two pieces of chicken)
- 1 small spaghetti squash
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise (butterflied–to make 4 total pieces)
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt
- garlic salt
- garlic powder
- fresh cracked black pepper
- cooking spray (olive oil spray is best for browning purposes but regular PAM works too)
- your fave no sugar added marinara (I love Trader Joe’s Three Cheese Pomodoro sauce the best!)
- shredded parmesan
- Prepare spaghetti squash by either cooking in microwave or baking it (I cut in half, scrape out the seeds and lay the squash face up on a cookie sheet and bake it at 375° for 30 minutes or until it pierces really easily with a fork. Once it cools, scrape out the “noodles” and set aside. To save time you may want to microwave it—directions here!)
Preheat oven to 450°. Place a large baking pan in the oven to get hot.
Combine breadcrumbs and grated cheese in one bowl. In another bowl combine olive oil, lemon juice, and pepper.
Lightly pound chicken breasts into cutlets, you should have 4. Wash and dry (dry really well) cutlets with paper towels; season with salt and pepper (I also add lemon pepper and garlic salt).
Dip cutlets into lemon/oil mixture, then into breadcrumbs/cheese combo, pressing firmly to adhere.
Remove the baking pan from the oven and spray with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the baking sheets and spray with olive oil spray on top.
Bake chicken, turning once halfway through for about 15 minutes total, or until chicken is golden.
- While chicken is baking, heat a saute pan over medium heat, spray pan with cooking spray or add a bit of olive oil, and add the spaghetti squash noodles. Toss it around in the oil or cooking spray, then season generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste ( I sometimes add garlic salt and lemon pepper too!). This step of sauteing the squash adds a wonderful texture and flavor to it.
- When chicken is done, top each piece with desired amount of marinara and parmesan and put back in oven for about 1 minute to let cheese melt.
- Put each serving of squash on a plate, top with marinara sauce that’s been warmed up, sprinkle parmesan, then put a piece of the parmesan chicken on top!