Keeping your brushes clean and conditioned is so important in getting the most out of them, not to mention making them last as long as possible (brushes are PRICEY!). I typically use Sephora brush cleaner and follow this cleaning routine but I ran out recently and my brushes hadn’t been washed in over a month. I found a DIY recipe on BellaSugar and it worked wonderfully! This may be my new way of cleaning them now. Try it out and let me know what you think! Remember to wash your makeup brushes monthly to keep them in great shape and to avoid spreading gross germs. 😉
DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner (From BellaSugar)
- Mix two parts dish soap (antibacterial is best) with one part of the extra virgin olive oil (the olive oil conditions the brushes while the dish soap cleanses) on a clean plate (don’t use paper plate, the oil will seep through). I used about 2 tbs of soap with 1 tbs of olive oil.
- Grab your first brush and wet it slightly with lukewarm water. Make sure the brush stays bristle-side down throughout the entire process. If water gets into the ferrule (the middle tube part that holds everything together) of the brush, it can loosen the glue, causing the bristles to fall out.
- Dip the damp brush into the soap mixture and coat it thoroughly. Next, work the mixture into the bristles using the palm of your hand and fingers. Continue until the soapy residue is makeup-free.
- Rinse the brushes under lukewarm water until no soap runs from the bristles.
- Lay each brush down on a paper towel and allow them to dry overnight.
- Repeat once a month for clean and conditioned brushes!
What’s your favorite way to clean your brushes? How often do you clean them?