Oh. My. God. This is the kind of thing I want to eat every single night. Roasted and smashed potatoes tossed with fresh lemon, parsley, garlic and parmesan?! I don’t know if it gets better than that for a carb and cheese lover like myself. We paired this with a spicy sautéed shrimp dish I’ll be sharing soon and it tasted like something you’d get at a great restaurant. I also threw the entire meal together VERY quickly so it’s extremely simple and bursting with bright flavors. I need to make this again immediately.
Lemon Parmesan Smashed Potatoes (Serves 4)
- 2 lbs of fingerling potatoes or any small potato
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- olive oil (or olive oil spray but olive oil works a bit better)
- Preheat oven to 400
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil on the stove and let simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 15 min.
- Drain potatoes and pat dry.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with nonfat cooking spray. Evenly place all potatoes onto baking sheet, and then using the flat end of a meat mallet, or the bottom of a cup, gently smash each potato.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil (or if extremely calorie conscious, lightly mist potatoes with an olive oil spray instead) and then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven and roast for about 20-30 minutes, using tongs to flip them over once about halfway through.
- While potatoes are cooking, combine lemon zest, parsley, garlic, and Parmesan in a small bowl and mix well.
- When potatoes are done cooking, toss them in a large bowl with the lemon and Parmesan mixture. Serve immediately.