Wow, I’m really excited to share this recipe with you because I’ve now made it twice and it’s absolutely delicious. I love making crustless quiches because they are so easy and you can combine any meats, veggies, cheeses you like. The previous quiche I shared was very low in fat, this one has cream in it so it’s a bit of an indulgence but it has no crust so I figure it evens out. 🙂 You can certainly use skim milk, almond milk, or extra egg/egg whites in place of the cream if you like.
This quiche is so creamy and flavorful, with the fresh asparagus, nutty Gruyère cheese and salty ham. It pairs really well with a glass of crisp white wine and a light arugula salad.
Ham, Asparagus & Gruyère Crustless Quiche (Makes 6-8 slices)
Adapted from Pinch My Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced OR 1 leek, thinly sliced (white and light green parts only)
- 1/2 pound asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 ounces ham, cubed or cut into thin squares, about 1 cup
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half (or liquid of choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces shredded Gruyère cheese, about 1 cup (if you can’t find Gruyère you could use sharp white cheddar or Jarlsberg)
- Spray a 10-inch pie plate or quiche dish with cooking spray.
- Position oven rack to center position and preheat to 375 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and butter and swirl to melt butter.
- Add leeks or onion, and cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes until softened.
- Add asparagus, and cook, stirring, for 5 – 8 minutes, or until just tender.
- Turn off heat. Add ham and toss together with asparagus.
- Scrape ham and asparagus mixture into the sprayed quiche dish.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, and pepper until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over the ham, asparagus, and cheese.
- Place quiche in the oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until quiche is set and a knife or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.