I make oven baked sweet potato fries often, but they are always really soft. Even though they still taste good that way I’ve been looking for ways to get them a bit crispier without frying them. I saw a few recipes on Pinterest that say corn starch is the trick, and I can confirm that it is! Adding a bit of corn starch makes the best sweet potato fries, I highly suggest it! Another suggestion is to soak the raw potato wedges in water for at least an hour. I didn’t do that for this recipe and they still turned out much more crisp than previous oven fries I’ve made.
We also generously topped these with some white truffle salt that we splurged on during our visit to Los Poblanos. You can buy it here! We are obsessed with this salt and put it on just about everything. If you have truffle salt or truffle-infused oil use it on these fries!
Perfect Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries!
Adapted from The Art of Doing Stuff
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Peel (optional–I don’t peel the skins) and cut sweet potatoes into fries no thicker than 1/2″. If you soak your raw potato slices in water be sure to dry them off completely before moving on to next step or they won’t crisp at all.
- Put cornstarch in a plastic bag and drop all of your fries in. Blow a little air into the bag, twist the top and shake it vigorously to coat all fries evenly.
- Pour olive oil into bag and salt and pepper to taste. Shake again until fries are evenly coated.
- If you have cooling racks like these, put them on top of your baking sheets and lay the fries on the racks. These make for crispier, more evenly cooked fries. If you don’t have the racks just lay the potatoes down on the baking sheets directly.
- Be sure the fries are evenly spaced with room in between. If they are too crammed in they won’t crisp (they will just steam).
- Bake for 15 minutes then check. Once bottom of fries are getting crisp, flip them over and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with some ketchup and enjoy!