These delightful, gluten-free little muffins are from Tone It Up, the nutrition and fitness program I recently joined. Definitely check them out because they offer tons of free workouts and recipes (like this one I’m sharing today) outside of the paid membership they offer. If you are curious about the program I would suggest reading Kelly’s post from Eat Yourself Skinny here. She explains really well all about Tone It Up. Also, follow the Tone It up girls, Karena & Katrina, on Instagram (@KarenaKatrina) for lots of fitness motivation, workouts, healthy recipes and more!
Anyways, on to the muffins! There is absolutely not one bad thing in them and they are full of fruity flavor and are hearty enough to fill you up. I have been making a batch on Sunday nights and then taking two to work each morning for breakfast. I really like having them with my morning coffee. They are also great as a post-workout snack, or for dessert! You have GOT TO TRY THESE! And of course, super easy to make, I promise.
Lemon Blueberry Protein Muffins (Makes 12 muffins)
Adapted From Tone It Up
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (pick this up at Whole Foods!)
- 2 scoops of all natural vanilla protein powder (I use Designer Whey French Vanilla–you can find it at Trader Joe’s or in the health food aisle of most grocery stores)
- 1-2 cups fresh blueberries, depending on your preference (if using frozen, thaw first)
- 6 eggs
- 4 Tbs of melted coconut oil
- 6 Tbs lemon zest
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 Tbs of flaxseed (optional–just for extra nutrition!)
- 2 packets of stevia (optional–just for added sweetness!)
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees.
- Mix together eggs, coconut oil, lemon juice and zest in a small bowl, either with a hand mixer or blender.
- In a separate bowl combine protein powder, coconut flour, baking powder, salt (and flaxseed and stevia if using) and mix thoroughly.
- Next, combine dry ingredients into the wet batter and mix or blend well until there are no lumps.
- Fold blueberries into batter right before pouring into sprayed muffin tins. I suggest NOT using muffin liners but just putting the batter directly into the muffin tin. More details on that below.**
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until center is cooked. (just insert a toothpick into the middle, if it comes out clean the muffins are done!)
**IMPORTANT NOTE** I suggest NOT using muffin liners and just putting the batter DIRECTLY into the muffin tin (just spray the tin with cooking spray before so they don’t stick). I’ve found that when I do use muffin liners the muffins stick to the bottom of the liner when you peel the liner off…and a lot of that paper is like baked into the muffin bottom…no bueno!