Merry Christmas Eve Beauties! I’m back today with the perfect festive holiday treat that’s, of course, low in calories! Before we get into the cupcakes, I do want to apologize for disappearing from the blogosphere for the last 3 months.
During these last 3 months I have experienced the biggest professional success of my career so far ( I was promoted to management at the company I work for), and I’ve also struggled through what has been the darkest, most challenging time in my personal life. Juggling these two extremes has kept me from many things I love doing, including blogging. I’m certainly feeling a lot better and I do fully plan on returning to blogging in 2014!
Now, on to the good stuff! These delicious cupcakes have a consistency similar to angel food thanks to the greek yogurt and egg whites that replace the oil and eggs, and the icing is a sugary sweet glaze. Topping them with crushed candy canes adds a festive look and flavor. If you want these even more peppermint-y you could add peppermint extract to the batter or even add crushed candy canes to it as well.
Happy Holidays to all of you! I so appreciate each and every one of you and I wish you a safe, cozy, healthy holiday with loved ones. XO
Skinny Vanilla Candy Cane Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
Adapted from Skinnytaste
- 18.25 oz Duncan Hines French Vanilla cake mix (or yellow, classic white)
- 6 oz fat free plain Chobani yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 large egg whites
For the icing:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp clear vanilla extract (I didn’t have clear so I used the regular brown kind and my icing was not as snow white as I wanted)
- 2-3 tbsp boiling water
- crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake tins with liners
Combine all the cake ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat until combined. Pour into prepared liners. Bake about 15-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- For the vanilla icing, combine powdered sugar, melted butter and water and beat until smooth.
- Glaze the cooled cupcakes with the icing, then quickly top each cupcake with desired amount of crushed candy cane (this frosting hardens quickly so work fast!)