Hi beauties! We have had the most perfect weather this week. Some great rainstorms have brought cooler temperatures and light breezes. I really hate the heat so this has been a major relief to me! This weekend I’m looking forward to … Continue reading
Margaritas are one of my favorite drinks. They are usually full of syrup and other sugary mixers so I wanted to try a lightened up version. There are different ways to make a Paloma, and my friend Renee and I tried it with … Continue reading
Watermelon-good. Tequila-good. Lime-good. Salt-good. Mix all those things together and you get an absolutely delicious concoction that’s sure to be the biggest hit at any party. I saw this on Pinterest recently and just had to try it. I brought these delightful wedges to the 4th of July party we went to and the trays of watermelon slices were empty in minutes. Just make sure you keep the kids away from these! They look like plain watermelon because the alcohol and salt just absorb right into the fruit. It’s like eating a watermelon margarita, without all the calories of the sweet and sour mix. The sweetener in this is agave nectar so it digests in the body easier than sugar does. It has a really low glycemic index and, while it does have more calories than white sugar, it’s about 40% sweeter so you can use less. Read more about agave vs. sugar here.
You will definitely be glad you made these. 🙂
Tequila Soaked Watermelon Wedges (serves 10-15 depending on size of watermelon)
- 1 seedless watermelon, quartered and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 3/4 – 1 cup agave
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 1/2 cup Triple Sec
- 2 limes, halved or cut into wedges
- margarita salt (or any course salt will do)
- Arrange watermelon in a single layer in two 9-by-13-inch baking dishes.
- Bring agave, water, tequila, and Triple Sec to a simmer in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring, until agave dissolves, about 30 sec – 1 minute. Let cool slightly. Pour syrup over watermelon wedges, and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes. The longer you let it sit in the tequila mixture the better!
- Remove watermelon from syrup, and arrange on a platter. Squeeze limes over melon, and season generously with the course salt.
- Serve and enjoy!