I’m spending this weekend in Portland to visit my friend Shay! You may remember this cutie from my November Beauty of the Month interview last year. I cannot wait to see the incredible city, eat and drink my way through … Continue reading
I’m sorry I’ve been a little MIA this week with posting! Things have been hectic and I never want to post something just to do it. I promise I have some good stuff coming your way next week! 🙂 Here … Continue reading
These delightful, gluten-free little muffins are from Tone It Up, the nutrition and fitness program I recently joined. Definitely check them out because they offer tons of free workouts and recipes (like this one I’m sharing today) outside of the paid … Continue reading
My cousin Rachel of the blog BeautyAnywhere is a health nut like me and is always making the most delicious and nutritious treats! I asked her to share one of her recent goodies with us, Banana Zucchini Chia Seed Health Muffins! Rachel is also a makeup artist. Check out my post about her 11 beauty must-haves for her clients here. Happy Thursday!
I’m so happy to be sharing a healthy baking recipe with you today! These muffins are very tasty and not overly sweet. I love chia seed because the health benefits are endless. For starters, chia seeds swell up to 3 times their normal size, making you feel full longer. They help to balance blood sugar, giving you great energy! They also contain more Omega 3’s than flaxseed and more than you would find in a piece of salmon. These muffins are great to eat in the morning for breakfast with some hot tea, or as dessert when you are craving something sweet but don’t want to ruin your whole day of healthy eating. I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! Stop by my blog for beauty tips, trends and reviews! You can also find me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (username: rach_walk).
Banana Zucchini Chia Seed Health Muffins (Makes 1.5 dozen muffins)
- 1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c. chia seed (or flaxseed if you prefer)
- 1 c. lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely grated zucchini (about one large zucchini)
- 1 1/2 c. bananas mashed, leave lumps (about 3 bananas, the riper the better)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c. skim milk
- 1/2 c. applesauce 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Next, add the remaining ingredients to the mixture and stir to combine. Be sure not to overmix, you still want the batter slightly lumpy.
- Pour the batter into the muffin tins and bake for 15-25 min, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean. Be sure not to overcook.